Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC 2/2] xen-netback: disable multicast and use a random hw MAC address

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 2:05 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez
<mcgrof@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We have to be careful for sure, I'll try to test all cases including
> kvm, but architecturally as I see it so far these things are simply
> exchanging over data through their respective backend channels, I know
> ipv6 interfaces are unused and I'm going to dig further to see why at
> least one ipv4 interfaces is needed. I cannot fathom why either of
> these interfaces would be required. I'll do a bit more digging.
>
> The TAP interface requirements may be different, I haven't yet dug into that.

I have a test patch that now works that restricts xen-netback from
getting any IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, and disables multicast. With this
set in place the xen-frontend still gets IPv4 and IPv6 addresses and
Multicast still works. This was tested under a shared physical
environment, I'll have to test NAT next, and also see if we can enable
this as an option for KVM for their TAP 'backend' interfaces.

  Luis