Re: [Xen-devel] drbd: and hvm

Sauro Saltini <saltini <at> shc.it> writes:

> Hi, I've found your patch digging around, in the hope of making HVM DomU's
> working with drbd: syntax and succesfully applied in my installation (Xen 4.0)
>
> I've investigated a bit further, and found that the "xm create" of a such
> configured DomU on a drbd "Secondary" node (i.e during initial startup of the
> cluster) doesn't work as expected apparently only for timing issues...
>
> In fact the block-drbd script is started and promotes the node to Primary, but
> qemu-dm, which is fired a little time before in an asynchronous way,
checks for
> the resource state too early and finding it still not promoted stops the domU
> creation; then the block-drbd is fired again (during DomU stop) and
demotes the
> node again to secondary.
>
> I've managed to make the creation of domU work by simply putting a sleep(5);
> statement in the middle of your conditional block !
> In this way the asynchronous block-drbd launch is given the time to
promote the
> resource while qemu-drbd sleeps! Then the DomU creation can continue just
fine.

> I've also noticed that the problem happens only for initial creation (xm
create)
> of the domU, while a migration (even live) can succeed without the need of
> adding the sleep statement, carrying out the correct state transitions of drbd
> resource both on starting and destination hosts.
>
> Any ideas to elaborate the patch making it less "hackish" than this ?
>
> Sauro Saltini.

Hi Sauro Saltini,

           Was trying the same scenario as what you have accomplished.
I'm using XEN 4.1, as i'm not a developer I'm not sure where i can find the
patch you created or how to create one by myself.

Please suggest me the link to find your patch or provide me with the qemu-dm
file with the changes.

Thanks in advance.

Kamal Kishore