Re: [Xen-devel] Results from the Xen 4.4-rc2 test day

On 01/24/2014 11:37 AM, Andrew Cooper wrote:
On 24/01/14 09:23, Jan Beulich wrote:
On 23.01.14 at 18:17, Andrew Cooper <andrew.cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The value of time read from hvm_get_guest_time() resets with a new
domid, making it an inappropriate source of time for the described
function of the MSR.

I suspect Windows 8 only notices at first on migration as I believe that
it is the first case where the generation ID is supposed to change and
signal a reset of state.  The detection of the failure is actually
further complicated as there appears to be a race condition between the
guest tools reseting the clock back to the correct value, and the DHCP
lease being flushed.  XenRT only notices the failure if the DHCP lease
is actually lost (thus XenRT can't communicate with it's xmlrpc daemon
inside the VM), and doesn't directly notice the foward/backward stepping
in time.

Anyway - please revert the patch - it will be a non-trivial change to
expose an appropriate source of time to be consumed by this MSR.
Done, albeit not completely - I left the #define-s in place.

Jan

Thanks - I have pulled XenServer's 4.4-rc2 branch forward to current
staging, and the w2k12 vmlifecycle tests are now working without error.

I shall organise another full nightly regression test for some time in
the next few days.

Overall, excellent news.  Thanks.

 -George