Re: [Xen-devel] Status of Nested Virt in 4.4 (Was: Re: Xen 4.4 development update)

B11;rgb:0000/0000/0000At 14:47 +0000 on 24 Jan (1390571231), George Dunlap
wrote:
> On 01/17/2014 09:40 AM, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > On Fri, 2014-01-17 at 02:16 +0000, Zhang, Yang Z wrote:
> >> As Andrew said, nested still in experimental stage, because there are
> >> still lots of scenarios I am not covered in my testing. So it may not
> >> accurate to say it is good supported. But I hope people know that the
> >> nested is ready to use now. And encourage them to try it and report
> >> bug to us to push nested move forward.
> > Perhaps we could say it is "tech preview" rather than "experimental"?
>
> If { {xp,win7,win8,rhel6}x{x86,x64} } x { Xen, KVM, VMWare } and Win7 XP
> compatibility mode are tested regularly, and only HyperV, L2 shadow, and
> paging / PoD don't work, I think we should be able to call this a "1.0"
> release for nested virt.  Then we can add in "now works with HyperV",
> "Now works with shadow", "Now works with paging" as those become mature.

That depends on what the failure modes are for the other cases --
esp. given that the L1 guest's choice of hypervisor, shadow vs HAP &c,
are not under the control of the L0 admin.  I thikn that has to be
clearly understood before we encourage people to turn this on.

Tim.