Re: [Xen-devel] vga passthrough with qemu-xen (or qemu upstream)

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 12:50:14 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 12:50:33 +0000

On 2014-01-20 12:31, Shakeel Butt wrote:
On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 4:09 AM, Stefano Stabellini
<stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 20 Jan 2014, Wu, Feng wrote:
> [...]

As far as I know, only qemu-traditional supports vga pass-through right now.

Right.
It is not possible to assign your primary VGA card to a VM with
qemu-xen. You should be able to assign your secondary VGA card though.

Let me understand this correctly. If I have two VGA cards then I can
passthrough
secondary VGA card (in Dom0) to HVM as its primary VGA card. Is this right and
if yes how can I do it?

Passing any VGA card as a primary-in-domU has always been problematic.
Passing it as a secondary-in-domU generally works fine, though. Do you
have a specific requirement for the card to be primary in domU? It
doesn't actually gain you anything over and above seeing your domU
loads you get output as per normal.

Why do you need it to be primary in domU?

Gordan