Re: [Xen-devel] MAINTAINERS tree branches [xen tip as an example]

On 17/01/14 23:02, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> As per linux-next Next/Trees [0], and a recent January MAINTAINERS patch [1]
> from David one of the xen development kernel git trees to track is
> xen/git.git [2], this tree however gives has undefined references when doing a
> fresh clone [shown below], but as expected does work well when only cloning
> the linux-next branch [also below]. While I'm sure this is fine for
> folks who can do the guess work do we really want to live with trees like
> these on MAINTAINERS ? The MAINTAINERS file doesn't let us specify branches
> required, so perhaps it should -- if we want to live with these ? Curious, how
> many other git are there with a similar situation ?

We don't recommend doing development work for the Xen subsystem based on
xen/tip.git so I think it's fine to have to checkout the specific branch
you are interested in.

> The xen project web site actually lists [3] Konrad's xen git tree [4] for
> development as the primary development tree, that probably should be
> updated now, and likely with instructions to clone only the linux-next
> branch ?

I've updated the wiki to read:

    For development the recommended branch is:

        The mainline Linus linux.git tree.

    To see what's queued for the next release, the next merge window,
    and other work in progress:

        The Xen subsystem maintainers' tip.git tree.

David