Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Add support for Xen ARM guest on FreeBSD

Hello Nathan,

On 01/17/2014 03:04 AM, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
On 01/16/14 18:36, Julien Grall wrote:

On 01/16/2014 01:56 AM, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
As I understand, only the simple bus code (see simplebus_attach) is
translating the interrupts in the device on a resource.
So if you have a node directly attached to the root node with
interrupts and MMIO, the driver won't be able to retrieve and
translate the interrupts via bus_alloc_resources.

Why not? nexus on ARM, MIPS, PowerPC, and sparc64 can do this.

I have digged into the code to find the reason of my issue. FreeBSD is receiving a VM fault when the driver (xen-dt) is trying to setup the IRQ.

This is because the GIC is not yet initialized but FreeBSD asks to unmask the IRQ (sys/arm/arm/gic.c:306).

With this problem, all device nodes that are before the GIC in the device tree can't have interrupts. For instance this simple device will segfault on FreeBSD:

/ {

  mybus {
     compatible = "simple-bus";

     mynode {
        interrupt-parent = &gic;
        interrupts = <...>;
     };

     gic: gic@xxxx {
        interrupt-controller;
     }
  };
};

The node "mynode" will have to move after the GIC to be able to work correctly.

--
Julien Grall