Re: [Xen-devel] incorrect disk numbering with qemu

On Thu, Jan 16, Ian Campbell wrote:

> > sda was connected to emulated LSI SCSI.
>
> Where did this come from? Did you request it somehow? I don't believe
> there was ever an emulated SCSI controller by default.
>
> Are you sure that this sda wasn't referring to the same backing volume
> as xvda?

Giving sda as name will instruct qemu-trad to create a LSI controller.
At least with SLES it can not be used because the unplug code shuts down
the controller and that also removes the disks. And the PV driver does
not claim them. Something like that, I dont remember the details.

> > But xvda was not connected to any
> > emulated controller, its PV only.
>
> Are you sure it wasn't showing up with a different name? Or perhaps by
> enabling LSI SCSI you have suppressed the default IDE controllers.

No, having hda, sda and xvda would (in theory) give three disks(IDE,
SCSI and PV). And with just xvda qemu-trad will not boot because its not
connected to an emulated controller.

Olaf