Re: [Xen-devel] Python version requirements vs qemu-upstream

>>> On 15.01.14 at 11:03, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-01-15 at 09:27 +0000, Jan Beulich wrote:
>> According to our own documentation, even Python 2.3 is supported
>> for building,
>
> It might be time to consider reving that.

Post 4.4 perhaps, but I don't think now is the right time to consider
anything like that. IMO we ought to fix the build instead.

> Current state of some distros:
>
> Debian Squeeze (oldstable): 2.6
> Debian Wheezy (stable): 2.7
> RHEL 5.9: 2.4
> RHEL 4.8: 2.3
> SLES 11SP3: 2.6
> SLES 10SP4: 2.4
>
> So by bumping to a minimum version of 2.4 we would be dropping support
> for RHEL4 dom0 userspace -- Personally I think that would be acceptable,
> it's now RHEL's old-old-stable (unless RHEL7 happened while I wasn't
> paying attention, which is possible).
>
> Bumping further than 2.4 would mean dropping RHEL5 and SLES10, neither
> of which seem desirable to drop unnecessarily. (If there were known
> issues with 2.4 then I would be inclined to re-evaluate that though)

As said - I encountered the issue here with 2.4 (on SLE10).

And yes, bumping the requirement beyond 2.4 would require
me to find solutions for how to build on SLE10 (which continues
to be the lowest common denominator here to allow building
and testing of all code streams I currently need to support, i.e.
I'm keeping one system around for 32- and 64-bit each, and it
so happens that one of those is where I do most of my work on).

>>  yet the qemu-upstream version update results in that
>> part of the build no longer working with Python 2.4 due to a number
>> of conditional assignments like this
>>
>>     full_name = name if not fn_prefix else "%s_%s" % (name, fn_prefix)
>>
>> in scripts/qapi-visit.py.
>
> This is consistent with their configure script which checks for:
>         # Note that if the Python conditional here evaluates True we will
> exit
>         # with status 1 which is a shell 'false' value.
>         if ! $python -c 'import sys; sys.exit(sys.version_info < (2,4) or
> sys.version_info >= (3,))'; then
>           error_exit "Cannot use '$python', Python 2.4 or later is
> required." \
>               "Note that Python 3 or later is not yet supported." \
>               "Use --python=/path/to/python to specify a supported Python."
>         fi
>
> Did you hit that too?

No, I didn't (or didn't notice, which would mean the failure here
doesn't get propagated correctly) - it was the actual build that
was failing.

>> Converting these instances to proper conditionals fixes the issue
>> for me.
>>
>> I further found that with some gcc versions trace/control-internal.h
>> causes a huge amount of warnings to be generated. While this isn't
>> keeping the build from succeeding, it's still rather annoying.
>
> Ancient versions of gcc I presume?

Yes, 4.1.x.

Jan