[Xen-devel] Enable virtual memory for Mini-os on ARM

Hi,

I'm currently working on porting mini-os to ARM.

The work I've done so far was related:
* Changes to build system to build mini-os as zImage
* adding a linker script for arm target
* Splitting some source files between common and arch specific bits
* adding some hypercalls for arm ( mainly used at the moment for console_io and getting shared_info page ).
* some assembly code for early startup ( stack setup, mmu stuff etc ) before jumping to c code.
* , etc

Now, it compiles and boots ( as zImage ). Obviously at the moment most of the ARM specific bits are only stubs and I've a while(1){} in the initialization code because it's not complete yet. So, it's still useless for now :)

My question is the following:
Why do I need to create pagetables and fill them for mini-os ? as far as I can see, mini-os is always statically built with another app ( or the dummy app_main ) .. Is there an actual reason for needing virtual memory in that setup ? Can't we just run on physical memory ?

At the moment I've some crude assembly code that was creating initial pagetables, but I honestly don't know why I even need that!

--
Karim Allah Ahmed.