Re: [Xen-devel] [libvirt] Setting devid for emulated NICs (Xen 4.3.1 / libvirt 1.2.0) using libxl driver

On Thu, 2013-12-19 at 11:39 -0700, Jim Fehlig wrote:
> Stefan Bader wrote:
> > Oh, just while talking about setdefault. Jim, this is one of the odd things
> > when
> > moving from xm to xl stack from libvirt: libvirt defaults to the netfront
> > NIC
> > when no model is specified and sets the type. The libxl setdefault function
> > sets
> > the model to rtl8139 but leaves the type untouched.
>
> The xend toolstack always creates both emulated and vif devices unless
> 'type=netfront' is explicitly specified.  As you say, the guest gets to
> choose what to do with them.  E.g. PXE boot using the emulated device,
> or have the driver for the PV device unplug the emulated one.  I don't
> think libxl supports this right?

It should do, in fact I thought it was the default.

How are you initialising the libxl_device_nic? Type ==  VIF_IOEMU (which
is the default for a VIF on an HVM guest) means both emulated and pv.
(there were bugs in the semantics here in very early versions of libxl,
but I thought they were fixed even before 4.2)

I don't think there is an option to have just the emulated device --
there is always a PV VIF there even if the guest doesn't use it.

Ian.