Re: [Xen-devel] paravirt driver development

Hi Carl,

I've been doing the same thing for a month or so now. Here are a few references:

1.- There's a good book you can get: "The Definitive Guide to the Xen Hypervisor" by David Chisnall. It's a bit dated but lots of good info. The real problem with it is that the examples are 32 bit, whereas I need 64 bit. But such is life.

2.- There is the mini-os in the Xen source. This is a little paravirtual guest. For my purposes (an embedded flat memory OS) this was overkill.

3.- The killer resource is this mail list. Lots of very helpful, very knowledgeable people.

Based on these three references (lots of number 3) I have written the starting point for a micro-pv. You can get this here
https://github.com/FurryFuttock/micro-pv . This creates a stub that is sufficient for Xen to recognize the executable as a guest. It gives you access to the console. Currently I am implementing stack switching to enable simple preemptive multitasking. There is still a bit of cleanup required in some of the header files as I just copy pasted from mini-os without really worrying about or understanding what the macros and functions were doing. One of these days I'll go back and clean up.

As always, all feedback is good!

Regards and good luck.