Re: [Xen-devel] Kernel 3.11 / 3.12 OOM killer and Xen ballooning

On 12/10/2013 11:27 PM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 02:52:40PM +0000, James Dingwall wrote:
>> Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:

> Keep in mind that swap with tmem is actually no more swap. Heh, that
> sounds odd -but basically pages that are destined for swap end up
> going in the tmem code which pipes them up to the hypervisor.

>>> I presume you have enabled 'tmem' both in the hypervisor and in
>>> the guest right?
>> Yes, domU and dom0 both have the tmem module loaded and  tmem
>> tmem_dedup=on tmem_compress=on is given on the xen command line.
>
> Excellent. The odd thing is that your swap is not used that much, but
> it should be (as that is part of what the self-balloon is suppose to do).
>
> Bob, you had a patch for the logic of how self-balloon is suppose
> to account for the slab - would this be relevant to this problem?

Perhaps, I have attached the patch.
James, could you please apply it and try your application again? You
have to rebuild the guest kernel.
Oh, and also take a look at whether frontswap is in use, you can check
it by watching "cat /sys/kernel/debug/frontswap/*".

Thanks,
-Bob