Re: [Xen-devel] About booting Xen with UEFI on FastModel

Hi Ian,

On Dec 9, 2013, at 23:35, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 2013-12-09 at 23:15 +0800, Chen Baozi wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I noticed that upstream UEFI is now supported ARMv8 on FastModel.
>> I’ve tried it to boot Linux with it. And it works. But it seems
>> it still cannot load Xen hypervisor properly. I’m now looking for
>> the reasons. Is there any difference for a firmware to load Xen
>> and Linux kernel?
>
> I think you are the first one to try Xen on EFI.
>
> Are you using the EFI stub with Linux or are you launching via a
> bootloader e.g. Grub-EFI?

After reading the source code, I think it is neither the EFI stub
or a bootloader. A Linux Loader EFI application has been developed
for ARM in EFI. It is able to boot Linux either by tagged list or
dtb method. However, it hardcoded the start address of 0x80000
when loading Linux kernel, which make it unworkable for Xen after
paging is enable. But I’m not sure whether there would be other
problems for it to boot Xen. And I’ll continue to work on it until
it can boot Xen successfully at the end.

(At least, there are early printk messages on the UART now, :-))

Cheers,

Baozi