Re: [Xen-devel] pvgrub2 is merged

Ð Fri, 29 Nov 2013 13:24:22 +0000
Colin Watson <cjwatson@xxxxxxxxxx> ÐÐÑÐÑ:

> On Sat, Nov 09, 2013 at 09:52:20PM +0100, Vladimir 'Ï-coder/phcoder'
> Serbinenko wrote:
> > Hello, all. pvgrub2 has just became part of upstream grub as ports
> > i386-xen and x86_64-xen.
>
> Could anyone offer packaging advice for which ports should be built
> here?  Is it reasonable to assume that a 32-bit userspace only needs the
> 32-bit Xen port and a 64-bit userspace only needs the 64-bit Xen port,
> or is it possible that there could be cross-architecture combinations
> here?  Does the architecture of the GRUB port have to match the
> architecture of the Xen hypervisor?

I guess this question is better asked on xen-devel. Assuming we have 64
bit dom0 and try to boot 32 bit domU. Is it possible to start with
(and in other direction too) situation becomes relatively simple.

> For those familiar with Debian packaging, I'm trying to work out whether
> it's sufficient to just build grub-xen{,-bin,-dbg} packages which would
> be i386-xen on i386 and x86_64-xen on amd64, or whether I have to have
> two variants on each architecture the way I do for EFI.  All other
> things being equal I'd prefer to keep the package count as low as
> possible, but only if that won't break real-world use cases.

For a long time I dream of possibility to mark grub platform packages
as noarch (speaking about RPM) - they *are* noarch from the OS PoV. I
was told that was impossible, but may be I should try once more.

This would mean one platform - one package that can be installed
everywhere.