Re: [Xen-devel] HVMs terminating as (null)

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Steven Haigh <netwiz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 21:56:22 +1100
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 10:56:46 +0000

On 25/11/13 21:50, Sander Eikelenboom wrote:

> Monday, November 25, 2013, 11:36:05 AM, you wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2013-11-23 at 17:38 +0100, Sander Eikelenboom wrote:
>>> Would it be possible to leave the domainname to something else as "(null)"
>>> when such a state occurs,
>>> the xendomains script f.e. seems to interpret this literally and bails out
>>> without shutting down
>>> any other domains.
>
>> I guess it should be a one liner, so please submit a patch. Not sure
>> what alternative string should be used, since you would want to avoid
>> clashing with any potential real domain's name.
>
> I didn't immediately spot the place where it was set to "null".
> Yes that's a problem, though domainnaming has more restrictions (like using
> "0" (or any other number that is also a domain-id) as domainname) in the
> "just don't do that" category.
>
>> From that PoV it might be better to teach xendomains to ignore such
>> domains.
>
> From what i remember i also couldn't  use "xl destroy" on such a domain
> (though i probably should by using the domain number instead of the name).
> Perhaps the toolscripts should just uses the domain-id numbers instead of
> names for anything except printk's and echoing to the user ?

Correct - once a domain enters the (null) state, you cannot use 'xl
destroy' to kill the domain. As in my first post, the domain ID still
exists, but it cannot be used. Is this a toolset bug?

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz@xxxxxxxxx
Web: https://www.crc.id.au