Re: [Xen-devel] Xen for real-time/embedded/automotive

On 20 Nov 2013, at 14:23, Simon Martin <smartin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I am wondering whether there is some prior art that the Mirage OS
>> (http://xenproject.org/developers/teams/mirage-os.html,
>> https://github.com/mirage ) team has done, which you could build
>> upon/re-use/look at. Obviously you wouldn't need any of the higher level
>> OCaml language stuff. I will let Anil respond, whether there is anything
>> that you could use.
>
> Thanks Lars,
>
> I started off looking at the mirage-os, but got totally frightened off by the
> OCaml :-). That learning curve was way too much, learn the language to then
> learn the system. I didn't realize there was enough low level C to be
> interesting. I'll go back and have a look at it.

You don't need to worry about any of the OCaml stuff, but we're based off a
very stripped down version of MiniOS. What aspect of MiniOS was too complex for
your needs?

We've stripped out all of the device drivers from MiniOS such as Xenstore,
Blk/Netfront, Fbfront, and just use it as a boot substrate (since MirageOS
implements all the device drivers in OCaml).  I am planning to re-merge with
the upstream MiniOS soon, since we can just #ifdef out all the drivers.

We've also chatted to the HalVM folk about breaking out the boot libraries we
both need into separate repositories, to make code sharing easier.  I'd like to
see a "XenBoot" library with support for PV, HVM and x86/ARM support, for
example, and several of the MirageOS early adopters also want a KVM and VMWare
Fusion backend to make development easier (with Xen being used for production,
but is less convenient for laptop-based development at present).

-anil