Re: [Xen-devel] VCPUOP_set_periodic_timer

On sab, 2013-11-16 at 20:37 +0000, Simon Martin wrote:

> This is the configuration I am working on. The system is reasonably
> simple, a single flat memory space with it's own simple scheduler, so
> I can't see why it shouldn't work, as long as I can get the
> granularity out of the underlying system.

It indeed should work. It's the fact that the "underlying system" is an
hypervisor that makes things fun! :-)

There is quite some interest in enabling at least a certain level of
real-time behavior in/on top of Xen these days (mostly thanks to the ARM
port), which means a lot of people will be looking forward of what
you'll be able to achieve and how.

> Before I embarked on this I looked at RealTime Xen. Very interesting
> project, however from my understanding of the Xen architecture I
> thought that the vanilla Xen would be sufficient. This is still my
> fallback position.

Yep, it's good to have alternatives. Long term, I think we should aim at
both fixing SEDF and having something like RT-Xen merged upstream
(people are working on both these projects already).

> Once I have this working smoothly I'll look at timings, however I
> really needed to know whether what I am asking is feasible or not.
> From all the answers I think that it is more than feasible, not only
> due to the Xen infrastructure, but also because of the good will of
> the people involved.

HeHe... Nice to hear you feel comfortable with us. :-)

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Thanks and Regards,
Dario