Re: [Xen-devel] Mapping shared pages from Windows

De-html-ing...
---
From: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Simon Martin
Sent: 25 October 2013 20:35
To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Mapping shared pages from Windows

Hi all,
I have been working on my little OS port and things seem to be going reasonably
OK. I am writing it from the ground up using David Chisnall's book "The
Definitive Guide to the Xen Hypervisor" and referring to the mini-os
implementation. I find there are too many dependencies and additional bits in
the mini-os code to just pull the bits out that I need. Maybe once I've got a
better understanding I'll be able to go back and do something there.
My next channel is to talk to my little OS from a Windows HVM. As a start I
have offered a shared page from my domain which I want to map in a little
Windows app.
I have been looking for a Windows API to access Xen, but I haven't found
anything. I took a quick look at the GPLPV drivers but that isÂquite a large
set of files. Is there an easier starting point, and maybe even a little
documentation?
Â---

You can look at the XenServer PV drivers on GitHub. Xenbus would be the place
to start (https://github.com/pauldu/win-xenbus) and look at the 'upstream'
branch. There are several header files in the include subdir there which
provide kernel APIs to Xen interfaces such as store, event channels, grant
table, etc.
There is one user space API: a WMI provider for xenstore implemented by the
xeniface driver (in the win-xeniface repo) but that's not going to be a huge
amount of use to you.
I suspect what you'll need to do is add support for grant mapping into one of
the sets of Windows PV drivers, probably by placing in the platform device's
memory aperture, and then mapping that page out to user space. You'd also
probably need an indefinitely blocking IOCTL or something that that will tell
you when the user process dies though, otherwise you won't know when to do the
grant unmap.

  Paul