Re: [Xen-devel] [BUG] Xen vm kernel crash in get_free_entries.

On 10/18/2013 03:06 PM, Paul Durrant wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:xen-devel-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ian Campbell
Sent: 18 October 2013 10:46
To: David Vrabel
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; Astarta; Stefano Stabellini
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [BUG] Xen vm kernel crash in get_free_entries.

On Fri, 2013-10-18 at 10:31 +0100, David Vrabel wrote:

I suspect some of the changes for ARM has caused this (because ARM is
sort of PVHVM without a platform PCI device) but I had a quick look and
couldn't spot anything.  Stefano, any ideas?
If there is no platform device then we should never be going anywhere
near any of the grant table code...

 From the log in the original post it looks like at least some parts of
the kernel think it is running PVHVM (i.e. it does the unplug and says
"Booting paravirtualized kernel on Xen HVM"). I don't think this should
not be the case if there is no platform pci device.

Could this be because XenServer uses this platform_device=2 thing, which
is enough to trigger some of the early setup (because the unplug
protocol is present on I/O ports 0x10) but then the PCI driver in Linux
doesn't know about this ID and so never initialises the rest of it?

Astarta, which of these configurations have you tried:

  - No platform device at all
  - Platform device with ID == 1
  - Platform device with ID == 2

and what happened with each?

device_id will be 2 only if you use a windows template - which you generally
should not for hvm linux as that also has viridian=true.

   Paul

You're right. The problem VMs are running Windows OS (Win2008 R2 and Windows 2012), Linux here is a kind of Live CD from where these VMs are backuped.