[Xen-devel] FW: Cancelling asynchronous operations in libxl

We're in the process of porting xenopsd[1] to libxl, rather than driving libxc
manually.

Using our libxc-based backend, we are able to cancel operations. For operations
that are using XenStore watches we wrap these in a cancellable_watch[2], and
for operations that make use of a subprocess we send SIGKILL when we wish to
cancel the associated task. We would then instrument any necessary cleanup by
hand on a best-effort basis.

With the move to libxl, a lot of this control will be abstracted away and it is
unclear how best to allow long-running tasks to be cancelled. It seems most of
these operations could be executed asynchronously but we wonder if it is
possible to cancel them, or how we could add cancellation functionality to
these operations?

Cheers,

Si

[1]: https://github.com/xapi-project/xenopsd