Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.4 development update

On 23/09/13 08:24, Jan Beulich wrote:
And no, I don't agree with your initial statement. The outcome of
the most recent community call was "make all regressions of xl vs
xm a blocker for 4.4". Of course I don't read this to imply features
no-one uses, but I certainly read this to cover features that some
people use, even if they're not a majority.

Any decision about the direction of where Xen goes needs to be made in public. Everyone who has a stake needs to be able to see the reasoning that went into it, and challenge it and make their own viewpoint known if necessary. The community call cannot do this -- the call is not recorded, so no one can listen in to the discussion to see what the reasoning was, and no one can retroactively go back and enter the discussion to affect the outcome.

The community call is good for significant contributors to more effectively discuss what the positions of the individual people on the call are, what problems there are, and quickly brainstorm solutions or compromises that work for everyone. But if the people on the call decide something, all it means is that the individual people on the call have decided -- it's not binding on the community until it has been discussed on the list.

Obviously the people on the call carry a lot of weight in the community, so it's likely that anything decided there will ultimately be decided here; but it's not something that can be taken for granted.

 -George