Re: [Xen-devel] Why xs_handle is not part of header rather xs.c file

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 2:59 AM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 2013-08-29 at 13:16 -0700, Shakil k wrote:
> Hello Xen Folks,
>

> Why do have the structure xs_handle declared and defined in file Xs.c
> and not to a header file?
> Was there an intention not to modify the structure externally?

Yes, there is nothing in there which an application should require
direct access too therefore it is deliberately an opaque handle.

> My intent of having this structure is to modify the fd and
> "pthread_cond_t watch_condvar;"
> from this structure externally to suit my application.

This sounds wrong to me. Why do you (think you) need to do this?

   ÂThe reason being for watch functionality we have n number of times to watch for. However
   Âit doesn't have a timeout. What if my program waiting for watch and the data is never delivered
   Âas the client died or crashed.
   ÂSo I would like to register a signal handler in my top level watch of application and on timeout a signal
   Âwill be generated which will Âmodify the fd and also Âcondvar_signal(&xs->watch_condvar);Â
   Âso that my application can do watch based on timeout as well as iteration.
   ÂShakil
Ian.