Re: [Xen-devel] OASIS Virtual I/O Device (VIRTIO) TC

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 01:24:03PM +0200, Daniel Kiper wrote:

> > To make the whole thing work we also need backend supporting Virtio. The
> > closest thing at hand was QEMU, but again, the transport had to be
> > re-implemented.
> >
> > The hack is on http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Virtio_On_Xen
>
> Thanks for lengthy explanation. It looks that a lot of work has been done.
> Could you tell or point where I could find info how buffers/rings are
> shared between backend and frontend? Is grant page mechanism used at all?
> How buffers/rings addresses are passed between backend and frontend?

Grant table was not used there. I used foreign mapping in QEMU. In that
hack, MFN is passed on the ring. Looking at the original virtio_ring.c
it should be trivial to replace physical addree with a grant ref, thus
allowing proper use of grant table mechanism.

Wei.