Re: [Xen-devel] usbdevice option and specifying a specific device

On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 12:24:40 +0100, George Dunlap <george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 31/07/13 11:12, Ian Campbell wrote:
On Wed, 2013-07-31 at 09:25 +0100, George Dunlap wrote:
On 30/07/13 09:23, Ian Campbell wrote:
On Mon, 2013-07-29 at 20:17 +0100, Gordan Bobic wrote:
I'm trying to use usbdevice option in the config file (instead of
passing USB PCI devices), and the documentation says to specify the
device in the form host:xxxx:yyyy where xxxx:yyyy is the USB
vendor:device ID.

Except there is a problem with this - I have two identical keyboards and mice, one set of which I want to pass to the host, and the other set which I want to pass to the guest. Since the xxxx:yyyy will be the same for both devices of each type, how can I deterministically specify which
I want to keep on the host and which I want to pass to the guest?

Is there a way to use something like BusID:DeviceID instead in order to
provide a more deterministic outcome?
I think George (CCd) had some plans to improve this initial
implementation in the 4.4 time frame.

Since it looks like the devices which you pass are given direct to
qemu's -usbdevice option it seems like host:bus.addr should work too.
"Supporting" this option is perhaps just a docs patch away?
Yes, I think "host:bus.addr" should work as well. Let us know if it
doesn't.
If it does then we should add it to our docs as something which we
support passing on to qemu.

Gordan, did you try this?

Yes, it works, but only if BusID != 8. See the bug report I posted
yesterday. I will double check tonight whether the BusID=8 gets
clobbered into BusID=0 at xl or qemu-dm level.

Gordan