Re: [Xen-devel] Question about boot ARM guest on Arndale

On Mon, 2013-07-29 at 14:52 +0800, yan ren wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Recently, i tried to boot ARM guest on my Arndale following the link
> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/Arndale.
> But i meet several issues:
> 1. The CPU frequency  in dom0 cannot reach 1.7G. I ran some workload,
> it seems the cpu frequency in dom0 is keep in 1G which in native is
> 1.7G. BTW, there is no cpu frequency in /sys/device/system/cpu/cpu0/.
> bugs?

CPU frequency scaling is not something we have considered yet. It would
likely need to be done at the hypervisor level and not by dom0. We have
a similar scheme on x86.

> 2. I boot the guest with the same file system as host(download from
> linaro.org with ubuntu version). But i cannot run many command inside
> guest: like dd, dmesg. It always shows illegal instruction when run
> those command.

This might relate to the lack of VFP which you go on to mention. We've
seen something like this in past when VFP was inadvertently disabled.

> 3. I compared the CPU info with host. It shows the guest doesn't have
> VFP feature. Is it true?

That should work, I don't think we are deliberately hiding or disabling
VFP for guests. I'm not sure where this bug could be though.

> 4. Cannot see many devices via lsusb in dom0. Like usb NIC is missing
> in dom0. What's the wrong?
> 5. The dom0_mem parameter in dts table cannot take affect. I changed
> it to 256M, but still see 512M after dom0 boot up.

Did you recompile the DTB and rebuild the hypervisor? I sometimes find
that changing the file referenced by CONFIG_DTB_FILE doesn't cause a
rebuild. I usually "rm xen/arch/arm/dtb.o" to be.

Ian