Re: [Xen-devel] RFC: removing hardcoded "modprobe blktap" in xencommons

On 07/18/2013 08:31 AM, Wei Liu wrote:
On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 12:16:01PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
George Dunlap writes ("Re: RFC: removing hardcoded "modprobe blktap" in
xencommons"):
If we did something like this, we'd still have to have the modprobes in
xencommons for older kernels; we'd just have to have a way to disable it
for newer kernels.

Many of the modules we'd be asking for (eg blktap*) don't exist on
newer kernels at all, so the modprobe is harmless.

For the others we can check uname.

I think Jan's main point is "defer loading modules till the last
minute". Checking for uname in xencommons cannot achieve that.

It can defer modules *for systems that can load them automatically*, while loading them immediately for those that don't. I think that's an improvement.

 -George