Re: [Xen-devel] RFC: removing hardcoded "modprobe blktap" in xencommons

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 05:12:55PM +0100, Wei Liu wrote:
> Hi Jan
>
> Back before 4.3 release you complaint about the hardcoded modprobe for
> blktap / blktap2 in xencommons script. I started to look into it this
> week and tried to do this modprobe automatically in libxl (that's the
> idea we discussed before 4.3 IIRC).
>
> Unfortunately I didn't manage to find any canonical documents on how a
> user space process can trigger a modprobe. I've looked at kernel
> documentations and couldn't find any. Do you have any reference on how
> to do that?

Ian and George talked to me on IRC about this. What we found (thanks for
Greg KH's help) was that you can use 'MODULE_ALIAS("devname:XYZ")'.

If any user application did an fopen("/dev/XYZ") then said module would be
automatically loaded.