Re: [Xen-devel] [xen-4.3-testing bisection] complete build-i386

On 11/07/13 16:07, Ian Jackson wrote:
xen.org writes ("[xen-4.3-testing bisection] complete build-i386"):
branch xen-4.3-testing
xen branch xen-4.3-testing
job build-i386
test xen-build

Tree: qemuu git://xenbits.xen.org/staging/qemu-upstream-4.3-testing.git
Tree: xen git://xenbits.xen.org/xen.git

*** Found and reproduced problem changeset ***

   Bug is in tree:  xen git://xenbits.xen.org/xen.git
   Bug introduced:  3dfb4018d4948588ff00e32f4ab12d4715bb8c5e
   Bug not present: c8d233c644cbaba24b823ddd2394e4b4e07f7d9d
       Config.mk: Update QEMU_TAG and QEMU_UPSTREAM_REVISION for 4.3
This is because
  (a) qemu-xen-4.3-testing.git (the trad tree) had not had
      git-update-server-info run in it since the xen-4.3.0 tag was
      made.
  (b) Config.mk specifies an http url (rather than a git url) for
      the qemu trees.

I have fixed this and prodded the tester into starting another 4.3
test right away.

Post mortem:

The xen-4.3.0 tag in that tree was made some time last week.  Running
g-u-s-i is in the checklist.  I don't know why the checklist wasn't
followed properly (by me).  That was clearly a mistake.  Sorry.

I think, though, that our release process has become quite complex and
single the ad-hoc checklist file we (mostly I) are using is creaking
under the strain rather.

ACTION: I think we need to write down our actual relase process from a
higher-level point of view, and have a separate file for technical
processes and runes at various stages.

I've put up a skeleton of a release checklist here:

http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/ReleaseChecklist

A higher-level overview, plus maybe some "be aware of this" reminders before the step-by-step might be useful -- I might add those in tomorrow (or you can do it if you have a mind).

I was also thinking it might be nice to have a text-based "to-do" for the different stages somewhere, so that whoever was doing it could copy the list to their personal to-do file, and delete the items as they did them (to make sure nothing got dropped). Not sure how useful that would be.

 -George