Re: [Xen-devel] vBAR=pBAR - Dynamically Generating DSDT?

On Wed, 03 Jul 2013 07:33:56 -0400, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm looking at the 2009 era patches for vBAR=pBAR and
the more recent maintained version at davidgis.fr,
and it would appear that the BAR spaces get hard-coded.

Is there a reason why this cannot be dynamically
generated at domU start time? I could write a
wrapper easily enough to doctor this every time
I need to start a VM that generates a patch for
the relevant devices and recompiles hvmloader,
but this is quite a horrible way to do this.

Could it be done via Xen Store?  hvmloader is already capable of
reading values from there.  Perhaps add a new attribute there?  In
local/domain/0/vpci/<domain>/pbar-<bdf>?

Considering xenstore seems to be deprecated for
storing domU configs in favour of plain text files
(Windows registry, anyone?), I'm weary of going
down the route of anything touching the xenstore.
If it's still going to be hard-coded, I'd rather
having it in the domU config file.

Detecting all the BARs from all the assigned PCI
devices at domU initialization time would be
better, though...

Gordan