Re: [Xen-devel] Dear, Mr.Stabellini. I have a question about xen PVHVM guest.

On 01/07/13 15:43, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> CC'ing xen-devel
>
> On Sat, 29 Jun 2013, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
>> Dear, Sir.
>> My name is Younghyun Jo.
>> And I am a master student at Seoul National University, Korea.
>> And I also study on Virtualization and VM checkpointing.
>>
>> I have a problem with PVHVM guest.
>> I installed xen-4.1.2 on my server. And I run a PVHVM guest on my LVM.
>> The PVHVM guest is ubuntu-12.04.2-desktop.
>>
>> When I save a machine, It acts fine.
>> But, When I restore that machine, It seems more slow. (I think this is may
>> be cache problem)
>> Serious thing is that the guest finally die after a while. (I couldn't find
>> the answer)
>>
>> I do not know the reason why my guest die.
>> (Actually, ubuntu-12.04.2-server will not die, it happens only for
>> 12.04.2-desktop guest)
>>
>> Is it a known bug?
>
> No, it is not.
>

>> Or, is it a Xen version problem?
>
> Xen 4.1 is old now, we are working on Xen 4.3, that is about to be
> released. It might be worth trying to reproduce the bug on a newer Xen
> version.
>

>> I know you are a busy man. And my question seems to be interrupt for your
>> work.
>> But, Nobody can be helpful for me in Korea community and Google.
>> Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
>
> You could try to gather as many logs as possible from Xen and Linux.
> For Linux add
>
> earlyprintk=xenboot loglevel=9 debug
>
> to the kernel command line.
> For Xen add
>
> guest_loglvl=all
>
> to the Xen command line.
>
> Please post the Xen serial output and the Linux kernel output of your
> DomU.

This could be related to the timer issue we fixed not long ago in PVHVM
guests, could you try with current unstable (4.3) or with latest 4.1
branch? If you want to use 4.1 please make sure it contains commit
8b94e436ed3f83e899f5b0cc403461f95750964b.