[Xen-devel] ACPI S3 resume with Xen and Linux not working (will work in Linux v3.11) Was: Re: Re: crash on resume after suspend

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 09:15:08AM +0200, Loke Bharti wrote:
> Sorry, I wasn't specific. It is the host. And the system is a Ubuntu 13.04
> x64 with xen 4.2.2 compiled from source. The system suspends just fine, but
> fails to do so when done after booting with xen. I don't know how to get
> serial console after a resume crash.

CC-ing xen-devel back. Please don't drop that.

> The system suspends as it should, but resets when resume is triggered. On
> resume, no display comes up, but the hard drive indicator ticks once, and
> then the system resets. Being a laptop it is necessary to be able to be
> suspended. VT-d is enabled.
>
> I had tried qubes os, which is based on xen, and that used to suspend just
> fine, though I could never boot  with Virtualization enabled. Probably some
> kernel flag, but I want to the achieve the same feat using an Ubuntu system.
>
> Because the system resets, there is no log of resume, as far as I could see.
> There is a log, when the resume has succeeded, but that won't help. When
> booted with xen, the loaded modules of course include xen-specific modules,
> but the kvm modules are missing, which are loaded when without xen.
>
> But I suppose, we would need resume log to be able to troubleshoot. How
> should I get it?

ACPI S3 resume is not yet working (but will with Linux 3.11) b/c the
patches to allow that functionality had not been merged upstream.