Re: [Xen-devel] seabios.git branch state

>>> On 25.06.13 at 12:29, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-06-21 at 10:00 +0100, Jan Beulich wrote:
>> for xen-unstable so far I have been tracking the xen-unstable
>> branch, yet this has been lagging behind 1.7.1-stable-xen for a
>> couple of weeks. What are the intentions here?
>
> I would recommend that you instead track the
> Config.mk:SEABIOS_UPSTREAM_TAG variable.
>
> I'm not sure what the best strategy here is, it seems like at some point
> I have ended up only pushing to the X.Y.Z-xen-stable branches rather
> than the xen-unstable branch. This probably makes sense since otherwise
> the xen-unstable branch would either need to be rebasing (for new
> upstream releases/stable branches) or have a complicated remerging
> strategy which I don't really want to get into.
>
> Perhaps I should just nuke the xen-unstable branch? I could switch to
> X.Y.Z-{xen-unstable,xen-A.B} branches but given that our releases
> reference particular commits/tags via SEABIOS_UPSTREAM_TAG I'm not sure
> that would be worthwhile.

I think it would - the way the build process works when done
entirely from the root of the tree doesn't mean everyone will or
has to do it this way too.

For instance, I very much dislike the pulling down of a fresh git
clone during building - this wastes time and disk space. Instead
I maintain separate clones of the individual repos, and when
taking a snapshot I just combine those of the individual trees.
Which immediately makes it undesirable (but not impossible) to
look into specific files of the xen tree to know which tags to use
for the other ones - I'd expect that simply the tip of the master
branches of all respective trees can be tied together (i.e.
irrespective of possibly a push to update one of the tags not
having happened yet even if the actual tree's changes did pass
the push gate already).

But anyway - I'll see to adjust my snapshotting scripts accordingly.

Jan