Re: [Xen-devel] Interesting observation with network event notification and batching

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 10:56:12AM +0100, Andrew Bennieston wrote:

> >>It could be that the frontend notifies the backend for every packet it
> >>sends. This is not desirable and I don't expect the ring to behave that
> >>way.
>
> I have observed this kind of behaviour during network performance
> tests in which I periodically checked the ring state during an iperf
> session. It looked to me like the frontend was sending notifications
> far too often, but that the backend was sending them very
> infrequently, so the Tx (from guest) ring was mostly empty and the
> Rx (to guest) ring was mostly full. This has the effect of both
> front and backend having to block occasionally waiting for the other
> end to clear or fill a ring, even though there is more data
> available.
>
> My initial theory was that this was caused in part by the shared
> event channel, however I expect that Wei is testing on top of a
> kernel with his split event channel features?

Yes, with split event channels.

And during tests the interrupt counts, frontend TX has 6 figures
interrupt number while frontend RX has 2 figures number.

> >It is probably worth checking that things are working how we think they
> >should. i.e. that netback's calls to RING_FINAL_CHECK_FOR_.. and
> >netfront's calls to RING_PUSH_..._AND_CHECK_NOTIFY are placed at
> >suitable points to maximise batching.
> >
> >Is the RING_FINAL_CHECK_FOR_REQUESTS inside the xen_netbk_tx_build_gops
> >loop right? This would push the req_event pointer to just after the last
> >request, meaning the net request enqueued by the frontend would cause a
> >notification -- even though the backend is actually still continuing to
> >process requests and would have picked up that packet without further
> >notification. n this case there is a fair bit of work left in the
> >backend for this iteration i.e. plenty of opportunity for the frontend
> >to queue more requests.
> >
> >The comments in ring.h say:
> >  *  These macros will set the req_event/rsp_event field to trigger a
> >  *  notification on the very next message that is enqueued. If you want to
> >  *  create batches of work (i.e., only receive a notification after several
> >  *  messages have been enqueued) then you will need to create a customised
> >  *  version of the FINAL_CHECK macro in your own code, which sets the event
> >  *  field appropriately.
> >
> >Perhaps we want to just use RING_HAS_UNCONSUMED_REQUESTS in that loop
> >(and other similar loops) and add a FINAL check at the very end?

> >>I'm trying to do this now.
> >
> >What scheme do you have in mind?
>
> As I mentioned above, filling a ring completely appears to be almost
> as bad as sending too many notifications. The ideal scheme may
> involve trying to balance the ring at some "half-full" state,
> depending on the capacity for the front- and backends to process
> requests and responses.

I don't think filling the ring full causes any problem, that's just
conceptually the same as "half-full" state if you need to throttle the
ring.

The real problem is how to do notifications correctly.

Wei.