Re: [Xen-devel] Test Day instructions: specific list of files to be removed?

  • To: Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>, Russ Pavlicek <russell.pavlicek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Ian Murray <murrayie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 11:36:51 +0100 (BST)
  • Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 10:37:12 +0000
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=yahoo.co.uk; h=X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Rocket-MIMEInfo:X-Mailer:References:Message-ID:Date:From:Reply-To:Subject:To:Cc:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=pVmSW/d07HKoQBb8r5xdQ8rLs+tGhFwoBa3h5aQoXb3faW8xXtMsIDLTvPLsBz/SIw7uVxGlkJKrfS1s787IEZn2aoffZCeQoqwJo0OlVNWNB8t0TJZ1VeOLrBV3Rbg6NHbDCCxxh95gYqbVCnu+L8+2YAAQvkX6GxfjLmMryi4=;

>>  I know this is not a big deal to folks who are used to doing this, but
>>  for someone new to the test day process, this could be helpful.
>
> The goal is really just to avoid issues with running the old toolstack
> (or linking the new libraries) when you think you are running the new.
> Most of the time the new ones would overwrite to old so it's not all
> that critical to get it right, as long as we on #xentest keep in mind
> the possibility that an obscure bug (e.g. an unexplainable xl segfault)
> might be down to picking up old versions of things.

I just tried 4.3RC4 over the top of a working 4.22 yesterday and I had all
sorts of problems of "permission denied" and "internal error" when doing basic
stuff like xl destroy and xl list. A little googling told me that this was
likely down to mixed versions and sure enough I ended up with at least two xl's
and various other stuff duplicated. The only time I have used an option on
configure is for lib/lib64 and never anything on this system, AFAIR.

Unfortunately, I had to get it back in a working state as this machine is
unattented Mon-Fri so pretty much took it back to 4.22 with without much
investigation. Obviously by then I had some cleaning up still to do and AFAIR
it looks like the path differences were along the lines of /usr/ vs
/usr/local/  . As I said before I have never done anything specifically in the
past around this so presumably the defaults have changed unless I am doing
something wrong or missing something.