Re: [Xen-devel] CAP and performance problem

On gio, 2013-06-06 at 17:27 +0200, Massimo Canonico wrote:
> Actually it seems that the problem is related to a BIOS setting. In my
> HP server, there were a parameter called "HP power regulator" that I set
> to "HP Static High-performance power" (before it was set to "dynamic
> performance power") and now I get what it is expected: cap 50% make my
> application twice longer than when cap is 100%.

Cool! :-)

> Thanks to all of you guys. I think that this should be reported in the
> doc where the cap mechanism is explained.

Well, yes, I guess we can put there something like the following:

"Beware of bugous BIOSes, providing obscure options with fancy names,
 promising to solve world hunger and all the other nasty problems out
 there if you check them, while all they do is just messing up with
 your OS power management strategies (for your ease and convenience)"

:-D :-D

Jokes apart, we may want to add a line there, perhaps on the Wiki, but I
honestly don't think this is by any means the cap mechanism's. :-)

Glad you have it working... I guess that means you can stay on Xen,
right? :-P

Regards,
Dario