Re: [Xen-devel] HVM Migration of domU on Qemu-upstream DM causes stuck system clock with ACPI

On 03/06/13 12:05, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Jun 2013, Roger Pau Monnà wrote:

>> I've been investigating further during the weekend, and although I'm not
>> familiar with the timer code in Xen, I think the problem comes from the
>> fact that in __update_vcpu_system_time when Xen detects that the guest
>> is using a vtsc it adds offsets to the time passed to the guest, while
>> in VCPUOP_set_singleshot_timer Xen compares the time passed from the
>> guest using NOW(), which is just the Xen uptime, without taking into
>> account any offsets.
>>
>> This only happens after migration because Xen automatically switches to
>> vtsc when it detects that the guest has been migrated. I'm currently
>> setting up a Linux PVHVM on shared storage to perform some testing, but
>> one possible solution might be to add tsc_mode="native_paravirt" to the
>> PVHVM config file, and another one would be fixing
>> VCPUOP_set_singleshot_timer to take into account the vtsc offsets and
>> correctly translate the time passed from the guest.
>
> Good analisys!
> I think that the right solution would be to fix
> VCPUOP_set_singleshot_timer.

As a band aid I can confirm that adding tsc_mode="native_paravirt" seems
to be working fine (with the tests I've done so far), but it requires
the admin to know whether a certain HVM will be using the PV timer or
not, which I guess it's not possible in every case.

Xen could also force the TSC mode to native_paravirt when it detects
that a HVM guest is using the PV timer, but I don't think that's the
right approach. Is this something we aim to fix before the 4.3 release?