Re: [Xen-devel] Portin Xen to other HW-platform

On Wed, 29 May 2013, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> On Wed, 29 May 2013, klasse wrote:
> > Hi!
> > Is it hard work to port Xen to a custom HW-platform (with a PPC CPU)?
> >
> > Where can I find information about this?
>
> PPC has an "hypervisor mode" in hardware, right?
> If so, it shouldn't be very difficult, you can follow the footsteps of
> our ARMv7 port.
> It should take about 1-2 years for a 2-3 people team to complete the
> port.

Just to add a bit of context, it took Ian and me about 1 year and an
half to get this far in the ARM port, supporting ARMv7 and ARMv8 and two
different hardware platforms (Arndale and Versatile Express).
We only worked half-time on it, but we already knew Xen and Linux well.
Now we are almost feature complete but we are still missing PCI
passthrough and live-migration.

So I am guessing it would take about 1 year for a couple of people to
get the port in the state we are in now on ARMv7 for 1 board. If the
engineers are good and already PPC experts it would probably take only 6
months.
Then it might take another 6 months/1 year to have it product quality
and implement more advanced features like live-migration.