Re: [Xen-devel] BUG: ext3 corruption in domU

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 01:26:34PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> Konrad is on vacation this week, so it'll probably be next week before
> this gets looked at by him.

And I finally got to this email in my 'vacation-mbox'

> Ian.
>
> On Mon, 2013-04-22 at 13:22 +0100, Anthony Sheetz wrote:
> > I realize folks are pretty busy, but we're still interested in getting
> > this problem solved, and I want to be sure it's not lost in the
> > shuffle.
> > Any chance of getting some attention for it?
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 9:00 AM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:

> > > I'm here too (different hat ;-)), thanks for posting it here. I've added
> > > some people who know about the block stuff to the CC.
> > >
> > > Guys, my suspicion is that the issue is that barriers issued by ext3
> > > inside the guest aren't making it all the way down the
> > > ext3->blkfront->blkback->lvm->dm-crypt->disk chain leading the
> > > filesystem to eventually corrupt itself.
> > >
> > > The issue seems to relate to the use of dm-crypt since
> > > ext3->blkfront->blkback->lvm->disk is reported work fine.
> > >
> > > However there is no problem with the local dom0 ext3 root filesystem
> > > which is also in the same lvm VG on the crypt device (i.e.
> > > ext3->lvm->dm-crypt->disk), so its not purely a dm-crypt issue. I figure
> > > something is up at the blkfront->back link which causes the barriers
> > > which blkback is injecting into the block subsystem either don't make it
> > > to the dm-crypt layer or do not DTRT once they arrive.
> > >
> > > I'm not really sure with how to proceed (or how to ask Anthony to
> > > proceed) with verifying any part of that hypothesis though.
> > >
> > > ISTR issues with old vs new style barriers or barriers with no data in
> > > them or something, could this be related to that? (or am I thinking of
> > > DISCARD?)

You are using two different kernel versions. The 2.6.32 domU is only using
WRITE_BARRIERs, while in the 3.2 kernels that have been completly eliminated.
The mechanism they use is called 'WRITE_FLUSH'. The 3.2 kernel has a patch:
ommit 29bde093787f3bdf7b9b4270ada6be7c8076e36b
Author: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   Mon Oct 10 00:42:22 2011 -0400

    xen/blkback: Support 'feature-barrier' aka old-style BARRIER requests.

which emulates the barrier request by draining all of the oustanding I/Os and
then
sending the WRITE_FLUSH.

But it looks like you are hitting an issue here. Just to make sure
that is the case, what happens if you use the _same_ kernel in both dom0 and
domU? Does it work then?