Re: [Xen-devel] Early ACPI events prevent subsequent ACPI functionality on xen 4.3 + HVM domU

George,

--On 22 May 2013 11:55:03 +0100 George Dunlap <george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have tested both cases with Ubuntu.
Sending the trigger is reliable if you wait for boot to fully complete.
However, if I issue it during boot it does not get executed. Any
subsequent triggers do not get executed as well until one is sent when
the vm has fully booted.

Right -- so what I hear you saying is, "ACPI commands issued before the
OS is paying attention are ignored."  I think that's expected behavior.

I can see that "Shut this vm down as soon as possible" is a useful thing
to have. The problem at the moment guest OSes can ignore signals sent too
early, it doesn't really seem within the scope of libxl to work around
that.

I (now) think xl trigger power is working as well as could be expected.
xl shutdown has a problem (in that an early use of this
breaks later use), but we can avoid that by using xl trigger power
(or rather the libxl equivalent). So we have a workaround for this one.

FWIW our workaround actually will be send xl trigger power every
second until the machine disappears, as there is in general no IP
connectivity between hypervisor and guest in our environment. (Just
in case anyone is reading the archive and wants a hint).

So that leaves our one (hurray!) outstanding issue with xen 4.2 (and
4.3) Diana's first problem - the stuck clock after migration.

--
Alex Bligh