Re: [Xen-devel] EL6 initscript feedback.

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 01:02:35PM +0100, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> On Tue, 21 May 2013, Gordan Bobic wrote:

> > > This is the interesting question... which probably leads into a more
> > > important question... What is the best practices for config management
> > > and defining configuration for DomU's?
> > >
> > > While I recommend that people use a plain text config file in
> > > /etc/xen (although really the files can be just about anywhere) and
> > > then links to various auto-start DomU's in /etc/xen/auto as a general
> > > rule.
> > >
> > > Am I correct in thinking that libvirt only keeps details of domains
> > > in the xenstore? Is this recommended? Although more a libvirt question
> > > - can libvirt be configured to use config files in /etc/xen or
> > > similar?
> >
> > I think this is largely distribution dependant. In the case of EL/Fedora,
> > libvirt seems to be the distro's intended way of managing VMs, at least for
> > their primary supported virtualization method (KVM).
> >
> > In the interest of clarity and maintainability I have seen the light
> > and converted my VMs to simple text files in /etc/xen/ (there seems to be
> > no documentation on how to edit most of the settings in xenstore). Some
> > consensus on the best way would be good, though.
>
> I think that using simple text files in /etc/xen for VM configs is
> clearly the right way to go from the Xen POV.

Earlier libvirt versions, such as the default version in rhel5/centos5,
creates /etc/xen/<vm> text files upon VM creation. Later libvirt versions
changed the model
to use xend managed domains with libvirt xml configs.

I wonder if that behaviour could be changed with some config option.. would be
nice.

Also to convert from libvirt xml to xen text files you can use this:

virsh dumpxml vm_name > /tmp/a
virsh domxml-to-native xen-xm /tmp/a > /etc/xen/vm_name

Works for me on centos6 Xen (libvirt 0.10.2).

-- Pasi