Re: [Xen-devel] [Hackathon minutes] PV frontends/backends and NUMA machines

On lun, 2013-05-20 at 14:48 +0100, George Dunlap wrote:
> So the work items I remember are as follows:

Thanks for sending this out.

> 1. Implement NUMA affinity for vcpus
> 2. Implement Guest NUMA support for PV guests
> 3. Teach Xen how to make a sensible NUMA allocation layout for dom0
> 4. Teach the toolstack to pin the netback threads to dom0 vcpus
> running on the correct node (s)
>
> Dario will do #1.  I volunteered to take a stab at #2 and #3.

I've got half backed patches for #1 already, I'm sure I can submit them
as soon as 4.4 window opens.

Regarding #2 and #3, here they are the old patches (and other material)
that I've been able to find so far on the subject.

For HVM, the patches are originally from Andre (and I think they are the
ones Matt is going to refresh and try to upstream):
 - July 2008: http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2008-07/msg00582.html
 - February 2010:
http://old-list-archives.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-02/msg00279.html

For PV, the patches are originally from Dulloor Rao, they come with a
lot of policing and cover a lot o stuff that are upstream now, but there
perhaps still are some useful bits:
 - April 2010:
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-04/msg00103.html
 - August 2010:
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-08/msg00008.html

The work on PV-NUMA appears to have been presented at a XenSummit,
together by Dulloor and Jun from Intel, and there hence are slides and a
video available:
 http://www.slideshare.net/xen_com_mgr/dulloor-xensummit#btnNext
 http://www.slideshare.net/xen_com_mgr/nakajima-numafinal
 http://vimeo.com/12295753

Personally, I'm still quite buried under that memory migration thing, so
I really appreciate you stepping up for this. That being said, I should
be able to help, especially considering I used to be familiar with the
Linux side of this (although, years have passed, and my forgetting rate
is really high! :-P).

Regards,
Dario