Re: [Xen-devel] bison/flex version requirements

>>> On 13.05.13 at 16:10, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-05-13 at 14:44 +0100, Jan Beulich wrote:
>> Updates to the .l/.y files under tools/libxl/ over the last month lead
>> to the unfortunate situation that libxl failed to build on my SLE10
>> systems. Looking at README at the root of the tree doesn't reveal
>> anything but the fact that the two utilities are required (i.e. in
>> particular there's no mini,mum version specified), and the common
>> ground for utility versions so far was what RHEL5 and SLE10
>> provide.
>
> IIRC we check in the generated files for these tools precisely because
> one or more of these older distros didn't have a new enough version of
> one or the other (flex?). Hopefully Ian J remembers more about what the
> required feature is.
>
> So the intention is that you shouldn't need to regenerate these files on
> those systems, but of course if you are patching the .l/.y at RPM build
> time that isn't going to work. The logical extension of the above is
> that your RPM patches should also patch the generated files, presumably
> with a version built on a newer distro with a newer flex. Not terribly
> satisfactory for you I think.

Actually there's no RPM involved here, I'm doing a simple local build.

The one aspect that is specific (and likely different from most others)
is that when I snapshot the repository, I hard link files that are
identical to their counterpart in the most recent earlier snapshot to
that counterpart. Hence time stamps then can look to make as if
one of the generated files would need updating.

But that's only as background - I ought to be able to build things also
when I need to touch one of the source files (however infrequent
that may be for me personally).

> So in practice these files are most often regenerated on the tool's
> maintainers/committers systems, which are typically running Debian
> Squeeze. I have:
> $ bison --version
> bison (GNU Bison) 2.4.1
> $ flex --version
> flex 2.5.35
>
> How does that compare with what you have?

2.1 and 2.5.31.

Jan