Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.3 development update

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 5:41 PM, George Dunlap
<george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'll be doing some more workload-based benchmarks (probably starting with
> the Windows ddk example build) to see if there are other issues I turn up.

So here are my results with ddk-build for Windows 2003 (which again
have the "lazy IRQL" feature, and so aren't impacted as hard by the
extra time processing).  It's a "time to complete" test, so lower is
better.  (I recommend ignoring the first run, as it will be warming up
the disk cache.)

Xen 4.1: 223 167 167 170 165

Xen 4.2: 216 140 145 145 150

Xen-unstable: 227 200 190 200 210

Xen-unstable+lapic: 246 175 175 180 175

So it appears that there has been a regression from 4.1, but since 4.2
is actually significantly *better* than 4.1, it's probably not related
to the c/s we've been discussing.

In any case, the lapic patch seems to give a measurable advantage, so
it's probably worth putting in.

I'm going to try doing some tests of the same builds on an Intel box
and see what we get as well.  Not sure XP is worth doing, as each
build is going to take forever...

 -George