Re: [Xen-devel] [Lguest] lguest: unhandled trap 13 and CONFIG_MICROCODE_INTEL_EARLY

On 05/05/2013 09:22 PM, Rusty Russell wrote:

> HPA, how about we extend the KEEP_SEGMENTS flag to mean "don't touch
> privileged registers" in general?  That's what it used to do when it
> was introduced, and AFAIK only lguest uses it.  Xen folk CC'd.

KEEP_SEGMENTS was introduced at the request of Xen, not lguest.  I'm a
bit concerned about extending it as I don't know what else might end up
being affected.

On that subject, I would genuinely like to have a discussion of the
value vs. pain of continuing to support lguest.  It has not been a
*huge* problem, especially not compared to Xen, but core
paravirtualization has turned out to be a maintenance nightmare and it
has had an enormous negative impact on development work.

That being said, lguest really hasn't been a huge problem, but partly it
is a "level of support" thing...

        -hpa