Re: [Xen-devel] Inter domain communication

On Thu, 2 May 2013, Khandelwal, Shubham wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using XEN-ARM for Fast Models (VEXPRESS Platform), and am able to boot
> dom0 and domU. ÂCan anybody suggest some pointers on
> where to start on Inter domain communication, which can be used for
> transferring some data like files, buffers etc across
> domains.

The basic mechanism, used by all Xen paravirtualized frontend/backend
pairs, is based on shared memory and event channels.
Take a look at the following frontends in Linux:

drivers/tty/hvc/hvc_xen.c                       console frontend
drivers/input/misc/xen-kbdfront.c               mount/keyboard frontend

the corresponding backends live in userspace in QEMU (still not ported
to Xen on ARM):

hw/xen_console.c            console backend
hw/xenfb.c                  mouse, keyboard and framebuffer backend

Otherwise you can take a look at the network and block frontends and
backends that both live in Linux:

drivers/net/xen-net*            network frontend and backend
drivers/block/xen-blk*          block frontend and backend

Discovery happens via xenstore and pages are shared via grant table
(drivers/xen/grant-table.c in Linux).
Based on this basic mechanism, we have libvchan, that is meant to
provide an easy way to setup a interdomain communication channel, see

tools/libvchan

in xen-unstable.

Cheers,

Stefano