Re: [Xen-devel] blktap, qdisk, xl cd-eject, and xencommons

On Tue, 2013-04-30 at 16:09 +0100, George Dunlap wrote:
> On 04/30/2013 03:12 PM, Ian Campbell wrote:

> >> Right -- so I guess from a release perspective the best thing to do
> >> would just be to have tools/libxl/libxl_device.c:disk_try_backend() fail
> >> for TAP if disk->is_cdrom is true?
> >
> > Without having consulted the code that Sounds Plausible, yes.
> >
> > Is the underling problem understood though? In principal PV=blktap
> > +EMU=qemu should work, is this just some confusion on libxl's side when
> > reading the xenstore entries? I we sure we can't trigger that confusion
> > for other uses of blktap -- e.g. disks.
>
> Well the whole thing is a bit of a tangled mess right now.
>
> For one thing, disk_try_backend() will return an error if disk->format
> is EMPTY.  (Which is why in 4.2 if you hit this path, it breaks
> everything -- libxl__device_disk_set_backend() sets it to qdev because
> TAP fails, so it tries to write new qdev stuff and fails halfway through.)
>
> Is there anyone who actually knows what's supposed to be going on here,
> that we can ask to help with this?
>
> I suppose it might have been a mistake that TAP fails for EMPTY -- PHY
> will take EMPTY, so maybe TAP can too?

I think PHY+EMPTY is the case where you have passed a physical
CDROM /dev/cdrom type thing.

EMPTY exists for the empty emulated CDROM case.

In general PV devices cannot be "empty" since they don't handle the
concept of media change (except as noted the special case of a physical
cdrom and blkback). I expect it would probably be a mistake for TAP or
QDISK to handle EMPTY. "media change" for PV devices == unplug=>plug.

Of course quite how this interacts with the "PV half of an emulated
device" stuff I've no idea, conceptually it makes my head hurt.