Re: [Xen-devel] Testing xen-arm on Arndale

Thank you, Stefano:
I have checked -vvv and it seems that xl is looking for a file that is missing. I've included the printed message at the tail of the mail.
I've farmed xl tools through Ian campbell's cross toolchain wiki.

Making cross toolchain using schroot is a good way around building the xen tools, but documentation could be improved if it includes the following facts.
Because the current arndale board's rootfs snapshot does not include the proper python library tools, it firstly complains about some missing python modules such as 'commands'.
In addition, libyajl library files are also missing. In the cross-compiling phase, I've installed those library's dev port to schroot build directory; however, it has to be explicitly copied to the rootfs so that libxenguest/libxenlight can refer those libraries.
Namely, the dependent libraries have to be included in the root file system; I hope the document includes specifically which libraries have run-time dependency, and which modules are required to run.

Finally, I am curious about the mismatch in the two debug console options: in the bootargs options console=dbgp (given in dts), and codes in start_xen() shows
exynos5_uart_init(2, FIXMAP_ADDR, ...);
It seems like uart2 is fixed to use as console; but the code seems work only when console=dbgp.
How about using console=com1/2 instead of dbgp? (it seems more intuitive.)

The log from xl create with -vvv option is as follows:
xl -vvv create dom1
Parsing config from dom1
libxl: verbose: libxl_create.c:130:libxl__domain_build_info_setdefault: qemu-xen is unavailable, use qemu-xen-traditional instead: No such file or directory
libxl: debug: libxl_create.c:1236:do_domain_create: ao 0x2ea28: create: how=(nil) callback=(nil) poller=0x2e6a8
xc: detail: domctl operation failed -- need to rebuild the user-space tool set?
libxl: error: libxl_create.c:423:libxl__domain_make: domain creation fail
libxl: error: libxl_create.c:651:initiate_domain_create: cannot make domain: -3
libxl: error: libxl.c:1377:libxl__destroy_domid: non-existant domain -1
libxl: error: libxl.c:1341:domain_destroy_callback: unable to destroy guest with domid 4294967295
libxl: error: libxl_create.c:1215:domcreate_destruction_cb: unable to destroy domain 4294967295 following failed creation
libxl: debug: libxl_event.c:1569:libxl__ao_complete: ao 0x2ea28: complete, rc=-3
libxl: debug: libxl_create.c:1249:do_domain_create: ao 0x2ea28: inprogress: poller=0x2e6a8, flags=ic
libxl: debug: libxl_event.c:1541:libxl__ao__destroy: ao 0x2ea28: destroy
xc: debug: hypercall buffer: total allocations:5 total releases:5
xc: debug: hypercall buffer: current allocations:0 maximum allocations:2
xc: debug: hypercall buffer: cache current size:2
xc: debug: hypercall buffer: cache hits:3 misses:2 toobig:0

2013/4/3 Stefano Stabellini <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
I would appreciate if you could send emails in plain text, rather than
html.

On Wed, 3 Apr 2013, See-Hwan Yoo wrote:
> Hello, I am trying to run with xen-arm.
> Following through the Wiki's instruction, I've launched dom0, and trying to run domU.
> xl create dom1 generates the following message.
> Can somebody tell me what is going on?
> * dom1 configuration is as follows:
>
> kernel = "/root/zImage.domU"
> memory = 64
> name = "uBuntU"
> vcpus = 1
> disk = [ 'phy:/dev/loop0,xvda,w' ]
>
> ----
> libxl: error: libxl_create.c:423:libxl__domain_make: domain creation fail
> libxl: error: libxl_create.c:651:initiate_domain_create: cannot make domain: -3
> libxl: error: libxl.c:1377:libxl__destroy_domid: non-existant domain -1
> libxl: error: libxl.c:1341:domain_destroy_callback: unable to destroy guest with domid 4294967295
> libxl: error: libxl_create.c:1215:domcreate_destruction_cb: unable to destroy domain 4294967295 following failed creation

Please post the output of

xl -vvv create /path/to/vm_file

the -vvv enables all the debugging output in libxl and should give us a
pretty good idea of why it failed.

> One additional question) How do you debug with ARM-ve?

If you are using the emulator, they have a version of it that includes a
debugger. If you are using the real hardware, you can use the jtag port
to connect an hardware debugger.
In both cases you can type ctrl-a three times on the serial to get the
menu of debugging commands from Xen.
Of course you can also add more printk's to figure out what's happening.