Re: [Xen-devel] Will the GSoC Program be discussed hereï

On mar, 2013-04-02 at 16:14 +0800, Li Yechen wrote:
> Hi  Xen-Devel Community,

Hi,

> My name is Yechen Li and I'm a student of Virtualization Lab of Peking
> University, China.
> Preparing to join the GSoC of xen this year, I'm interested in the
> "Temporal Isolation and Multiprocessor Support in the SEDF Scheduler"
> project.

Ok, that's "mine", and it actually seems to be getting quite some
attention (already got many queries and attestations of interest
regarding it... Cool).

So, first of all, about GSoC in general, we (Xen.org) have applied as a
mentoring organization, but we still have to see whether or not we're
going to be accepted, before starting to officially evaluate candidate
students for the various projects.

Of course, I'm really happy about people being interested in the
project, and I'll be glad to help in any case, but I also really want to
be clear that, if it has to be GSoC, we'll have to wait a little bit to
see what Google thinks. :-)

> Will the GSoC projects be discussed here?

Indeed it will. I'm available in private (just use the e-mail address
from which I'm replying to this e-mail) for providing any help with
stuff that might not be so much interesting for the whole
list/dev-community, but anything regarding the design and implementation
of the project itself, should go through the list, so others can see,
stay updated with the status, and comment.

As I said above, there already have been people asking about this
project, and there are people working on real-time on Xen outside the
boundaries of this GSoC activity, so be prepared for some sane Open
Source-style competition or, most likely, for some sane Open
Source-collaboration-and-integration-with-other-people's-work! :-D

> I'm new to xen and xen community, hoping this doesn't make a disturb
> to your works.

Being new is fine, and no, you're not disturbing. If I can ask (mostly
out of curiosity), since you're saying you are interested in the
project, but don't have a Xen background, do you perhaps have some
background in (real-time) scheduling?

Thanks for your interest,
Dario