[Xen-devel] LVTPC masking in Intel VPMU code

Can someone explain why we have these lines in vpmu_core2.c:core2_vpmu_do_interrupt(): apic_write_around(APIC_LVTPC, apic_read(APIC_LVTPC) & ~APIC_LVT_MASKED);
    vlapic_set_reg(vlapic, APIC_LVTPC, vlapic_lvtpc | APIC_LVT_MASKED);

There is similar code in Linux oprofile with a comment that this is done due to some sort of a quirk on P4 and PentiumM. Is this why it's in core2_vpmu_do_interrupt() as well?

I don't see a quirk like this in Linux perf code.

-boris